Pages

Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Ikigai


“Know your reason for being. Define the reason you get up in the morning. Make it something you are good at, passionate about, and that the world needs. THIS is meaning.”

What am I good at? Not climbing. Especially now as I am on the cusp of being fifty years old. My genius is in spatial interpretation and awareness. That’s never made me rich and likely never will. But in exploring the landscape I was born into I have been able to satisfy the cravings of my heart and mind.

I can find the lines. And it’s no bother to me to hike around with a crashpad stuffed with brushes and a saw and loppers. I have passion enough return again and again. Quick after work sessions. Winter weekend outings. I believe eventually I’ll send all of my projects. Maybe naively.

Is this my purpose? Is this something worthwhile in the grand scheme? Am I inscribing into the stone of the universe the petroglyphs of my legacy?

I’m not good at waiting patiently. I end up feeding the urges in my mind with handfuls of exploration. Those urges are hard to satisfy.

I explore in my dreams. I wake up wanting to see something new every day. I make lists. I keep a tally of unsent projects in the back of my mind. Sometimes I can’t stop thinking about them and have to stop whatever I’m doing to chase some new climb. Or find a new arch. Or visit a new overlook. Or holler. Or trail. Or stream.

(Originally posted 12/10/23)

No comments: