Pages

Friday, January 12, 2024

Thirtysomething

 

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Chris Chaney (@ascentionist) It was an ugly argument.  I don’t know that the worst verbal and emotional abuse I’ve suffered in my life hasn’t been from myself.  I jest, but it feels like there’s some truth to it.  But no malice.

While yesterday was the thirtieth anniversary of my starting rock climbing, I simply didn’t want to climb.  It was a little cold.  I couldn’t wrangle up a partner to do anything roped.  The gravel roads in the National Forest are closed for the winter so I couldn’t get to places like Haystack, Courthouse or anywhere on Indian Creek in the time I had.  If I had realized sooner, I might have taken the whole day off.  I was going to just go home.  But my heart of hearts just couldn’t.  I needed to mark the day somehow.  Thirty years is nothing to sneeze at.

I opted to run up to Left Flank and hit the “Left Field” bouldering area past To Defy the Laws of Tradition, or to give the V2 under Wild Yet Tasty a go.  While I have spent countless hours on the left end bouldering area, I had never actually tried the legit boulder problem under the Table of Colors Wall.  I ran home to change clothes and I opted for the smaller crash pad.  I left brushes and developing kit all at home.

On the drive up I felt nauseous and like I wasn’t going to be able to keep my “lunch” down. All I’d eaten were two brownies I made in a batch from a box.  I used olive oil because I don’t keep other vegetable oil in the house, and they just didn’t agree with me.  I think it was the olive oil.

Anyway, I also worried it was a symptom of impending heart trauma as I am wont to do.  I’m sick and feel bad in that sense so seldom that when I do it always seems like something fatal.  I turned into it and throttled up. I figured if I was going to die, might as well be in the woods with a crash pad strapped to my back on the thirtieth anniversary of the day I started rock climbing.  Nineteen days before I turned fifty.

Anywho, I trudged up the trail as fast as I dared with a bum heart.  I traversed the crag from left to right, and as I approached the bend around to the Table of Colors area, I could hear voices.  Two guys were on Mercy, the Huff, and their dog was tied up right on top of the boulder problem.  I played my part as the introverted-Asperger’s-recluse-solo-boulderer, and with no more than a nod to the climbers walked over and dropped my pad ten feet under the slavering maw of a killer Pomeranian. 

I was annoyed.  It’s a crag on public land.  Why bring a yappy dog?  I get it on one hand--it’s a Thursday in January.  Who would even be around?  EXACTLY!  Used to I had the whole Gorge to myself after New Years until Spring Break or even a little later most years.  Now, there’s always someone.  Everywhere.

I decided I would work out the lower part of the problem and just avoid topping out or getting close to the top-out.  I didn’t have much daylight, and if I waited until conditions improved my window would close.

The guys got down from cleaning and one came and quieted and moved the dog.  He was personable and offered a spot.  I warmed up to them a little bit.  I understood it was late in the day and they probably hadn’t seen anyone else and why would it matter if they leashed their dog on top of an obscure boulder problem at a sport crag.  I couldn’t be mad.

I gave the problem about three solid goes, making progress on every attempt, and then I sat down to calm myself and get my thoughts and emotions in check.  I stretched a little and tried to focus on my breathing.

I got back on and tried it from the undercling start, but still botched the sequence to put me closer to the summit jug.  I realized my mistake even as I jumped back to the pad.  On the last go I started standing and reached up to the crux match from the ground and went from there.  I easily reached the top-out jug, but it felt frighteningly hollow.  After my days or rock cutting and rock work at Muir, I have a new appreciation for the relative strength of sandstone in the wild, so I was not confident in yarding on the big, positive hold without looking at what I was grabbing.

One of the other climbers had run over to give me a spot and was telling me I had it and to go for it, but I just didn’t feel good about it with the hollow flagstone and one lonely pad on the ground.  I lowered down as far as I could and dropped onto the pad.  It was a good effort, and the problem is worthwhile, but until I could look at the top-out from above, I wouldn’t be comfortable trying again.  I put on my approach shoes and scrambled up to look at it.  If I’d scoped it out first, I think I’d have gotten it that go easy.  There’s plenty of solid up there.

I opted not to get back on it yesterday, but that I’d go back again as soon as I could with a couple of pads.  I chatted with the two guys.  I mentioned that it had been thirty years since I started climbing.  It was the normal climber chatter really, but I’m glad I ran into them.  As solitary as I am—and comfortable being so—I know that I fare better when I behave in a positive social manner.  It’s just not my default. 

Zach, one of the other climbers (and Juan), mentioned bouldering and we got to talking about it and I said something about the “warm up” area left of To Defy.  He expressed an interest, so I told him a little about it.  When I’d packed up and was heading out, he asked if I was going over there.  The sun had dropped below the ridge over Military Wall, so I said probably not, but then when I got to the top of the approach trail out I decided I had enough time to run over there.  I didn’t intend to climb.

Years ago, I did spend a lot of time bouldering there and getting stronger.  I did a couple of fun traverses and even a few straight up problems that topped out on ledges.  Back then there was always chalk all over the wall there.  Last night there was no chalk.  That was a little surprising.  Though maybe it shouldn’t have been.

I ran my hands along the wall and the holds there.  One of my main climbing goals in the early 2000s was to complete a left to right traverse of that wall.  It was possible.  I was able to do every move.  I could send it to the crux move* in the middle including said move.  I could begin on the crux move and finish the traverse.  I think I was even able to climb to the crux, step off, and start again just after it and do the entire traverse.  I just never developed the full measure of endurance needed to send it in one go.  Or at least I didn’t try it when I had that fitness.  I guessed back then it might be V6.  That was harder than anything I believed I had been on.

These days I am aware I (unintentionally) sandbagged a lot of bouldering grades.  I was climbing harder than I thought.  Last night as I put skin to stone on that traverse I wondered if it's not too late to finally send that problem.  To gain that fitness back would mean I was a legit climber again, not faking my way up routes through familiarity alone.  I can be on the rock in thirty minutes from work.  If I ran up there on decent evenings, I could get in a solid hour-long session and be home by 6:00.  With its nice, sandy landing I don’t even need to take a crash pad—just shoes, chalk, and some small brushes. 

I felt like I was old and dying on the way in last night.  I felt more like my old self on the way out.


*The crux move on that traverse as I had worked it out was a drop into a sloper match.  Basically, from a halfway good hold you'd reach down to about waist level and pinch a sloper ledge.  Then you'd have to let go and grab next to it and control the drop.

No comments: