Pages

Friday, March 15, 2024

Whereabouts Unknown: A Brief Reprieve

Packing for an expedition to tackle a 100’ obscure aid and free line rope solo in the Eastern Kentucky backcountry is much different at fifty years old than at twenty-three years old.  All those years ago I would have just taken everything, up to and including the kitchen sink.  The weight wouldn’t have been a consideration.  I might have taken a single bottle of water.  Probably no food.  Wouldn’t have worried about rolled ankles or getting benighted or cold. 

In 1997, if I’d gotten too hurt to self-rescue my only hope for survival would have been Don Fig finding me before the turkey vultures.  I was fully aware no one would know where I dangled like Toni Kurz awaiting my doom.  The full chain of events that it would take for me to be discovered at this obscure place in the backcountry was painfully apparent to me.  And that was—and honestly still is—a huge part of the appeal.  But if I’d taken a bad fall on Mosaic in 1997 my skeleton would probably still be dangling from a rope way out there. 

I’m an introvert.  When my mom said “you shouldn’t hike alone” my response was then and has typically always been: “if I wait until I have someone to go with me I won’t get to go.”  That’s partially true.  The other facet of that truth is that I enjoy exploring alone.  Other people complicate and sometimes ruin experiences for me.  That’s not to say I don’t want to share outdoor experiences with other people.  I absolutely do, and I feel lonely at times when I’ve found some amazing place and have no one with me to appreciate it.

But I tend to want to find places on my own and enjoy them unspoiled, in quiet, and then decide if it’s the kind of place I want to return to with others.  I’ve made the mistake in the past of sharing places with people who didn’t appreciate them.  An early visit with one of my cousins to Copperas Creek Falls comes to mind.  I was taking photos of the waterfall and looked over to see him carving his name in the back of the rockhouse. 

This last year I have also developed an even deeper social aversion than I’ve always had which has evolved into full-blown social anxiety.  I spent about a week and a half hiding at work and dragging myself home to burrow into the couch under a blanket hoping even my own kids wouldn’t come into the room.  The worst of those feelings passed, but I’ve since recognized that they were always there at times in a milder form.  Not intense enough to call anxiety, but present enough to affect my preferences and decisions.

Anyway, I’ve matured.  I’ve also slowed down somewhat.  Not because I had to, but because I had to.  I was running my own self ragged.  I realized I was missing important things.  Not that I ever felt like I missed anything when I was younger.  I saw it all.  And I kept a running list of places and things I’d seen in my haste to return to.  At fifty I realize I may not find future opportunities to return.  It’s better to try to take it all in on the first glance than plan to look again.  When I was younger that wasn’t as true.

Having high blood pressure and other health issues, particularly a few badly sprained ankles, I’ve tried to make it my habit to let someone know where I’m going.  It’s easy enough these days to drop a pin, copy the coordinate from Google Maps and text it to someone.  I always try to explain where I’m going with the hopes that the modern SAR team would have the best chance of finding my old, fat carcass.  But I still maintain a strong sense of self-reliance in my adventures.  Things would have to be pretty bad before I’d call for help.  Two times I’ve limped out on the stump of a leg after rolling an ankle.  I know it can be done even though I hope it never happens again.

I let my loved ones know more for their sake than my own.  I don’t want to suffer in pain with no prospect of help coming, but I accept the consequences of recreating alone.  And after thirty years of doing it I can say I have the experience to back up my position.  I have the experience to keep me out of trouble, but I also better understand the risks involved.  If I’m being totally honest, that is a limiting factor to what I’m willing to do these days.  Setting out to reclimb Mosaic it in the original style is pushing past my comfort level.  It will involve better preparations.  I’ll need to be more efficient and smarter about the whole affair.

Again, that’s part of the appeal both then and now.  Back then my concerns were technical.  I used the experience to test a rope solo system which I abandoned the second time I tried to employ it, after taking a test fall and having the prussiks slip and I bashed my knee pretty bad.  I was in another place, but still two miles from the road, and I limped out.  After that I did my research and learned how to modify and use a Gri-gri to rope solo and that was my system for years until I was able to afford a Silent Partner. 

One of my planning questions is: which system will I use now?  The twin prussiks worked well in ’97 for the aid climbing.  No slippage, easy and light, and for the easy free climbing was no real problem either.  And prussiks may be the best option for the traverse on the second pitch.  The Gri-gri would work well in theory, but with the close to the ground fall potential it adds just enough extra length in the system to possibly fully put a foot/feet onto the ground in a fall.  While I’ve had the Silent Partner for years and used it well, I worry about using it as well.  With both mechanical systems the traverse becomes a little bit of a complication.  I feel like a combination of prussiks on the first pitch and the Gri-gri for the upper pitch might be the best strategy.

I Dustin and I used two 50m ropes in 1997.  One 70m should work well to get down from the top in one rappel.  Worst case I can pull off two rappels, but that would defeat the purpose of taking a longer rope. 

Of course, I’ll need water and snacks.  I’ll need an adequate rack but nothing crazy.  I’ve pondered taking my hand drill and a few bolts.  A set of rappel anchors on top might be prudent considering there was a fire or windstorm up there a few years ago.  But I don’t really want to spoil the experience with bolts.  And that will add considerable weight to the expedition.  I can go fairly light if I’m careful, but there will necessarily be a certain amount of weight no matter what. 

And can’t forget the wire brushes!

At twenty-three I was just looking for novel experiences.  That’s been my desire my whole life.  But at fifty there’s also a little bit of urge to finish unfinished things.  I feel the need to set some things aright that went wrong.  I’ve been on a quest to realign the path I ended up on with the one I meant to take. I’m slowly zippering the years back together.  This is an important event in my past.  This is how I heal the bigger wounds of regret: by taking small doses of medicine.  I’m also painfully aware that I won’t be able to fully cleanse some things from my life or my timeline.  But if I can realign my own self now, then I think I can better accept the things I can’t fix. 

I’m waiting for the right opportunity to make another go at Mosaic.  I want plenty of time, so I don’t have to rush.  I would put it off to strengthen my rotator cuff for a free attempt, but that just ends up bumping me from doing things I want.  I will go and clean the crack as soon as I get the chance.  I’ll work on the moves.  We’ll see where it goes from there.

No comments: