Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2024

Whereabouts Unknown: Another Part

Tony said he’d never been.  It’s an iconic promontory in the Red River Gorge.  Okay, if you’re a hyperfocused, fully obsessed rock climber then maybe you wouldn’t necessarily spend time hiking to overlooks and such.  With that knowledge our hiking destination that day was obvious.  I outran him up the trail, fighting the years my lungs and legs were feeling.  I caught my breath in the time it took him to catch up to me and then scrambled on up to the summit slabs.  As I waited for Cap’n Chaos to navigate the lower fourth-class terrain I looked off to the north at the hollers and cliffs further back.  Memories of Twisted Pine and Mosaic resurfaced while I chuckled at the heavy breathing and grunting going on down in the trees.

I’d forgotten what the big rock I was standing on had meant to me in the borderland time between my early explorations and when I became a rock climber.  It was no mystery why I explored that area for potential rock climbs before I ventured further into the unknown.  The rock evoked adventurous daydreams.  I wanted more experiences like that in my life.  I wanted warm stone under my hands and feet.  I wanted sweeping visas and elegant lines and curves for my eyes.  I adored the bonsai-like trees clinging to the edge of the sky.

A week after Tony and I huffed up there I returned alone one rainy afternoon after work to take some photos.  This recent return trip I took it more slowly and meditated on my life, and the winding, twisting path I’d followed through the cosmos of time and space to find myself standing once again at this point.  I folded time by stabbing a hole in the space and lived astride both eras of my existence for a moment.


I went back the next morning to do the same and hike further.  Mosaic had taken up residence in the better lit parts of my brain and vacated the shadows it had resided in for many moons.

I intended to visit a nearby arch, the Twisted Pine slab, and hopefully the base of Mosaic to ascertain the condition of the crack at the bottom.  I expected to get wet wading through the undergrowth and had come prepared.  I started out back on the rock, and lingered there a little longer taking photos, and letting myself dwell in the soothing mists of enigma.

Eventually, I moved on and easily picked up the old user defined trail that traced the obscure ridge.  It didn’t occur to me at first, but the reason it was still well trodden was because of the arch I was going to.  I easily found it, and then retraced my steps back to where its trail spurred off from the main ridge.  At that point the trail faded into nothingness and the ridge was like I’d remembered it from a random hike a decade before.  Before I gained the key saddle, I was swimming through man-height yellow pines that had sprung up after the aforementioned windstorm. 


My clothes were soaked when I reached the saddle just below the Twisted Pine slab.  I dropped into the drainage to the west and easily descended to the small, unnamed tributary below Mosaic.  I found a weakness in the slope above and climbed up the steep, open forest to the lower edge of another pine thicket.  I tried contouring around the lower edge toward where I knew the route was, but it’s tangled snarl never thinned.  I crossed a dry gully above a boulder and tried to push higher into the rhodo buffer below the pine thicket.  Above that I could see a lower cliff band and then more pioneer species above.  I kept moving west until I reached the corner of the ridge above which I knew was too far.  I shoved my way into the dense, wet greenery to the main corner hoping to find a weakness somewhere, but I was greeted by twenty-foot sandstone cliffs.

The day had grown late.  I had hiked myself into mid-afternoon the weekend before Daylight Savings, and I felt the urgency of getting to an easy exit before the sun fell too much further.  I had a headlamp, but I didn’t revel in the idea of bushwhacking in the cold, watery darkness.

My options were to backtrack to the saddle and then drop down to the Sheltowee Trace and track out.  I knew I had at least a half hour of solid bushwhacking and then it was roughly forty minutes back to the car, OR I could follow the water into the main drainage and hike the creek out to the road and follow it back to my truck.  The creek was an unknown.  It had been twenty years since I’d once hiked up the same creek looking for an obscure trad route.  I bushwhacked the upper slopes below the eastern cliff lines and then dropped back to the creek to exit.  That had been a righteously difficult day of hiking.  I was wet enough the prospect of wading the creek didn’t bother me.  I worried about flow since we’d had a bit of rain overnight.  It was March 2nd so neither the air nor water would be warm.  I also knew I am skilled at generating my own heat.  In the end I believed the adventure of hiking down the creek would be worth the effort. 

Down I went to touch the void.  That hike ended fine and was a great day in the woods, if slightly disappointing for not reaching my intended destination.  I got some great photos.  Everything was brilliant green, and I began to suspect that the photoreceptors in my eyes must have been unusually sensitive to greens that day.  The hike out was enjoyable and mostly uneventful save the respite I took on a gravel bar to make some tea.


Another week passed.  Mosaic was living full in the sun in my mind.  Its branches were beginning to show hints of buds.  By the next Sunday, I had no other option but to try to reach the base of the lost route again.  Twenty-six years and eight months had passed since last I stood at the base of it. 

I set out with little gear: a small daypack, a bottle of water, my digital camera, a small beat-up machete, and a recently purchased copy of The Tao of Pooh and the Te of Piglet.  My goal wasn’t to climb or scramble or to take photos.  It was simply to reach the base of the climb and figure out the best way in and out. 

My intended route was the most expedient way in that I knew.  I’d take what seemed the best way out once I’d reached the end.  I jumped on the Sheltowee Trace and plodded along trying to stay ahead of a couple of hikers that I was certain were going to the big rock.  I passed another couple of hikers walking the opposite direction on the Sheltowee but then no one else for the rest of my hike.


I reached the spot where I needed to leave the Sheltowee.  It’s easily recognizable to me, though I don’t think I could explain where it is to anyone else.  A short, steep hike up and I gained the saddle below the Twisted Pine slab and continued over into the western facing drainage.  I went down, crossed the lively stream, and plodded back up the slope into the barrier thicket.  I pushed on, carefully lopping the thickest, snarliest branches until I could look up and see a break in the lower cliff band.  I continued up the steepness finding my weakness until I found myself standing on a level wooded ledge under a sun-baked cliff.  I stepped to my right to an open area of the ledge, with a nice rock protrusion extending above the trees below.  The view was amazing, and I decided I’d come back and visit this spot before I left the area. 

I hiked back to the left into another pine thicket.  I pushed into it making slow progress and wondering how far it would be.  After two or three minutes I stopped as I had the distinct feeling I was in a place I knew.  I hadn’t felt that since I’d left the saddle.  And I can’t truly describe the feeling.  Of course, I had been in that spot in the past.  It was the only way to the base of Mosaic.  The difference was that since I’d left the “trail” I was in the first place that was unchanged since before the storm.  It was as much like it would have been nearly twenty-seven years ago as it could be.  I exited the pines and looked up and was there.

The crack had tufts of grass bulging from it.  And at the two saucer plates at the top of the crack a sizeable Charlie Brown Christmas Tree has grown.  Otherwise, the scene is just like I remembered it.  The slab split by the crack is lower angle than I had been envisioning.  That was heartening considering a possible free attempt in the near future.  I also noticed some possibly climbable features on an obtuse arete to the right about an arm’s span.  There’s no protection there, just something that might provide hand and footholds if it were somehow otherwise protected.

Mosaic 5.4R A2, FA: 1997

The stoke exploded in my brain.  I knew then that I had to return and recreate that initial experience I had, rope solo aiding the crack to clean it and reestablish the line.

I lingered at the base until it was awkward for both of us—me and the climb.  Was I going to make a move or just keep leering?  To avoid continued discomfort for both of us I moved on.  Or rather back to the sunny spot on the ledge where I let the maximum amount of skin soak in the sun for a while and read some from my book.

A fie spray of mist from the lip of the cliff drifted back and forth and wrapped around my warming body like a curtain in the wind.  The clouds lazed about in the sky.  It was a perfect moment in time, far from the stress and rush of my life.  I needed that more than I needed to climb some old project route I’d nearly forgotten about.

After some time I reluctantly packed up my things and began moving back toward the road.  The hike out was mostly uneventful, but I took it slow and enjoyed each step.  I’d already decided for sure I was coming back soon to execute another ascent of Mosaic.

Cont…

No comments: